We've had a few carrots from the garden already, and the odd tomato and handful of strawberries but today was the day for the zucchini - and a perfect specimen it was too. There's another one that's going to be ready any day now, which I'm going to make into some salad or side, but this one already had a reservation on it for some kind of zucchini bread or loaf - and lets be honest, chocolate just about goes with anything :o)
Chocolate Zucchini Loaf
makes 2 loaves
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (packed) zucchini, grated unpeeled
1 cup chocolate chips
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line two 9"x5" loaf tins with wax paper.
- in a large bowl mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- in another large bowl whisk the sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy.
- to the egg mixture add the canola oil and vanilla extract; mix well.
- add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- mix until just combined and then divide the mixture between the two prepared loaf tins.
- bake, in the centre of the oven, for 50-60 minutes until the top is cracked and spongy.
Chocolate Zucchini Loaf ingredients.
line two loaf tins with wax paper.
grate the zucchini until....
....you have a bowlful of greeny goodness.
mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl and....
....whisk like mad until light and fluffy - of course you could also use an electric hand mixer or even a stand mixer, but my arms needed the workout :o)
add the oil and vanilla and mix well.
add the wet mixture to the dry along with the zucchini and chocolate chips, and...
...mix until just combined.
divide the mixture evenly between the two loaf tins.
bake until the tops are cracked - these took about 52 minutes.
if you're like me and can't wait until the loaves have cooled down completely you're first slice will be studded with these melty little chocolate 'spots' - yummy!!!